Of Counsel, Balcomb & Green, P.C.
Civil Litigation | Local Government Issues
John is Of Counsel at Balcomb & Green. His practice focuses on civil litigation and local government issues. His cases include breach of contract, fraud, property disputes, business litigation, real estate, securities litigation, will contests, intellectual property, corporate issues, investments, and civil rights/constitutional law. Local government issues include liquor licensing, marijuana licensing, open records, land use, administrative hearings, quasi-judicial decisions, legislative matters, elections, and open meetings.
» Continue Reading...
John’s practice varies widely and is well suited for Colorado’s Western Slope. He represents individuals against corporations and governments, as well as governments and corporations in their affairs. From property boundary line disputes to corporate by-law litigation, he has experience that could suit the needs of a diverse base of valley residents. He has completed numerous trials, administrative hearings, commercial arbitrations, and appellate arguments, including appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit and the 4th Circuit.
Originally from Delaware, John spent much of his career in the Washington, D.C. area before moving to Colorado in 2013. He has been in private practice for most of his career, but has also served as the Deputy City Attorney for the City of Thornton, as well as Assistant Director of Civil Litigation for Denver.
After taking the sport of ultimate frisbee very seriously in his earlier years, John now enjoys walking up Colorado’s mountains, especially the ones without trails and trailheads, cross-country skiing, and an occasional game of squash. He is now well entrenched in the Roaring Fork Valley, with his son having been born at Valley View Hospital in May 2021.
» Read less...
- Oxford University (2003, MBA)
- University of North Carolina (1999, JD)
- Franklin & Marshall College (1996, AB, cum laude)
- Colorado (2014)
- Maryland (2004)
- Washington, DC (2000, inactive)
- California (1999, inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Colorado Bar Association
- Colorado Police Legal Advisor’s Group – Past Member
- Colorado Rising Municipal Attorneys Group
- University Club of Denver – Past Member; Assistant 12th Night Program Director
- Judicial Appointment and Retention Advisory Commission, Thornton: Past Ex-Officio Member
- Oxford University Society of Washington, DC – Past Treasurer
- Licensing Executive Society, Washington, DC – Past Membership Coordinator
Publications and Presentations
“What Patent Lawyers Can Learn from Trademark Law”, ABA IPL Newsletter, Vol. 24, Number 3, Spring 2006 (with others)
“Surveys in Patent Infringement Litigation”, Patent Strategy & Management, Volume 6, Number 12, May 2006 (with others)
“IP Auctions – A Patent Seller’s Perspective”, Greater Washington DC Licensing Executives Society Lunch Meeting, March 2007 (with other)
“Lessons for the Licensing Executive: A Review of the IP Issues that Led Beleaguered Vonage to the Brink of Bankruptcy” to the Licensing Executives Society Greater Washington, DC Chapter, November 2007.