Associate Attorney: Water
About Our Associate Attorneys
Associate attorneys at Balcomb & Green are part of an elite legal team with diverse practice areas. Associate attorneys work individually and collaboratively to meet our clients’ needs consistent with the vision and values of the firm. Balcomb & Green associates are given the opportunity to earn a significant degree of autonomy and pursue partnership within a culture that emphasizes rewarding work and a balanced lifestyle.
Position: Water Associate
The successful candidate will demonstrate superb legal-writing skills, initiative, collegiality, and professionalism. Practice area will primarily focus on water rights. Additional work will also include business and real estate transactions. We are seeking candidates with good personality fit, strong initiative and integrity, and commitment to maintaining a rural mountain lifestyle.
- Water rights adjudication and litigation;
- Decree interpretation and enforcement;
- Water supply evaluation and planning;
- Legal research, drafting of pleadings, research memoranda and correspondence;
- Independent management of water cases;
- Due diligence review of water rights and supplies;
- Well sharing agreements, and other contract drafting and review;
- Strategic planning; and
- Title examination.
- Admitted in Colorado and currently practicing;
- 3-5 years’ experience in water law practice;
- Proficiency with state and local water court rules;
- Thomson Reuters (Westlaw) and Colorado Courts E-Filing System proficiency;
- Experience in utilizing Division of Water Resources dashboard;
- Ability to think and act independently with minimal supervision, to seek supervision and feedback when appropriate, and accept direction and support;
- Commitment to continuous development and improvement of legal and professional skills;
- Exceptional verbal communication skills;
- Flexibility to work atypical hours as cases require.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary ranges from $80,000 – $90,000/year plus performance bonuses.
- Individual Health Care
- Optional Dental / Vision Plans
- Cell Phone
- Dependent & Health Expense Accounts (Cafeteria Plan)
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible personal leave policy
- Reasonable billing expectations (minimum 120 hours per month)
Applications must include cover letter, resume, 3 writing samples (one sample client letter, one sample memorandum on a water topic of your choice, and one sample draft agreement), and references.
Please send application materials to email@example.com
Balcomb & Green is an Equal Opportunity Employer.